cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN

jimburris
Level 1
Level 1

I have a VPN through a PIX and RADIUS server. I have users that travel all accross the country and would like to use high speed internet access to connect to the VPN. I am finding that not all hotels will allow Cisco IPSEC traffic. Will using the VPN client and a Cisco VPN concentrator fix this problem?

8 Replies 8

jjhpark
Level 1
Level 1

The IPSEC over TCP in Software v3.5 will be a good answer for you.

JAGDEEP_KANG
Level 1
Level 1

Can you tell me a little bit about your VPN / PIX design. I am in similar situation with PIX 525 & VPN Concentrator 3015. Any ideas on how to place VPN in relation to PIX will be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

I'm in the same situation. Did you finally decide on what design to implement? Want the most secure without losing too much of performance.

Any feedback will be very helpful.

Thanks.

fmadar
Level 1
Level 1

What do you mean with not all hotels will allow Cisco Ipsec traffic?

lots of hotels (i.e. the fairmont chain) that offer

high speed in the rooms, don't allow ipsec protocols outbound on the firewall (udp, 500) protocols, 50 &51

esp and ah

so you have to "fool" their firewall by running ipsec over tcp (otherwise you wont get out)

Ok, that's right. Using the vpn3000 and cisco client 3.5 you can do that.

Does anyone know if a PIX-515R supports transparent IPSec tunnelling over TCP/UDP?

I assume if it is not already available it is on the way in the next version of the PIX OS.

Only the VPN Conecntrator can do this. Cisco TAC told me there are no plans to put this in the PIX.