Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Cisco Support Community site will be in read only mode on Dec14, 2017 from 12:01am PST to 11:30am for standard maintenance. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Clean Access Agent API Error

I am receiving an error with Clean Access Agent version 3.5.13. My university requires Clean Access Agent to log into their wireless network.

When I enter my login information, I immediately receive an error. The first error message appears in a pop-up box that states:

"Windows API Error

An error occurred while calling the latest Windows API function.

Error Number = 87

Error Description = The parameter is incorrect."

After I click on "OK", I get another error message in the Clean Access Agent windows stating:

"Network Error!

Detail: The parameter is incorrect. [87]"

The details of my PC are as follows: Dell Inspiron 1150 Notebook w/ 512MB RAM

XP SP2 Home Edition

Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3 (Public Release)

Office 2007 Beta (Official Beta Tester)

.NET Framework 1.1 SP1 with KB886903

.NET Framework 2.0

All Microsoft XP Critical Updates

I have used a prior version of Clean Access Agent without receiving this error.

Is there a newer version that may correct my error? If so, where do I download it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Clean Access Agent API Error

IE7 Beta is the issue. You won't be able to get through CCA via the agent until you remove IE7 Beta or an updated CCA Agent is released that supports it.

Regarding an updated agent, it must be downloaded through your CCA server, rather than directly.

5 REPLIES

IE7 Beta is the issue. You won't be able to get through CCA via the agent until you remove IE7 Beta or an updated CCA Agent is released that supports it.

Regarding an updated agent, it must be downloaded through your CCA server, rather than directly.

I will uninstall IE7 Beta and report back to you with my results; however, I believe I used a prior version of IE7 Beta with no problems.

Is it that IE7 Beta cannot be installed, or is it that it just cannot be running? Surely CCA supports other browsers (firefox, opera, etc.) than just IE...

I uninstalled IE7 Beta 3 and it did correct the problem. Now I am only getting temporary access as it is telling me that I need to go to install required software updates (from Microsoft), even though there are no critical updates for me to download.

CCA does indeed support other browsers, but IE7 reports itself as IE, but doesn't behave like the others (I can't be specific, as I don't know what the difference is, but it's sufficient to cause the errors you're receiving). Perhaps by the time it's released the behavior will be corrected either by the agent or the browser. I certainly hope it is, or the beginning of the semester will be difficult for many help desks!

Regarding the patches, you may need to re-register some .dll's, or just download a patch from the MS technet site and install it manually, assuming that CCA is telling you which updates it thinks you're missing. If you don't get that info, call your help desk, and they should be able to find someone to check the report for which KB# you need. Once you've got that, downloading it manually will resolve the issue.

If you'd rather try the quick fix (which comes with no warranty or personal testing), you can run the attached batch file; it should re-register some DLLs and that sometimes resolves the issue with Windows Updates not being detected consistently.

Good luck!

Thanks for the information. I ran the batch file just to be safe. If that doesn't work, I will call the help desk and ask them for the KB#s.

Once again, I appreciate your time and information!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content