cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Clean Access AV Version Updates

mikeccit
Level 1
Level 1

I manage Clean Access on a small college network. We allow several different AV products. One of the most popular is AVG because it's small, fast, unobtrusive, and free.

AVG recently released v8, but Clean Access won't recognize it and there is no option to allow v8 in my AV rule list.

My general question is for Cisco:

What kind of communication do you maintain with AV vendors so that the Clean Access list is kept up-to-date with current AV product versions?

This is especially troublesome with users who have purchased AV products such as Norton 360, McAfee, etc. Upgrades for these products come out, but are not support by Clean Access and I have to tell users to either go back to the previous version, or uninstall their current product and use a free one like AVG.

Am I missing something, or is this a problem for other Clean Access admins out there, too?

-Mike

13 Replies 13

smahbub
Level 6
Level 6

Clean agent versions are updated based on the release of latest AV versions.4.1.3.2 is the minimum version of clean agent needed to use AVG 8.0 Antivirus Or Anti-Spyware.If you are using a lower version of Clean Agent then use the latest version(4.1.3.2).lower version will not support AVG.

Refer the Table in the url below for details of AV versions supported By Clean agent based on thier release:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/nac/appliance/release_notes/413/413rn.html#wp483197

I tried 4.1.3.2 but got the same result - AVG 8 was not recognized. I'll try again, though.

i saw support for it but not under grisoft. it was under avg. said version 8. haven't tried it though.

Still no luck. I've upgraded the CAM and CAS to 4.1.3.1 and the client to 4.1.3.2, but Clean Access still doesn't recognize AVG 8. All the rules are created, and in the clean access agent report, AVG 8 is shown as one of the options - it's just not being found.

Anyone else have any luck getting AVG 8 to work?

I just tried the same thing: AVG 8.0 (free version) with agent 4.1.3.2 and it did NOT work.

Anyone else have problems? Anyone have luck?

Chris

Same here. The support for for AVG is not available when I check it under clean access|rules|AV\AS SUpport info screen.

Minimum Agent Version Required to Support AV Products

Product Name/Version Installation Virus Definition

Def Date Def Version

AVG 8.0 [AntiVirus] 8.x 4.1.3.2 (Not Supported) (Not Supported)

rklingaman
Level 1
Level 1

Yup still not working anybody else having the problem with Clean Access 4.1.3.2 and AVG 8.0 still? Working with Cisco Support again and they say it should work just fine.

I spoke with Cisco support about this last week. 4.1.3.2 will recognize the program, but the definition files are NOT supported (in AVG 8, Free edition).

According to the tech, AVG 8.0 (both Free and Pay versions) will be fully supported in the big software release at the end of this month (is it out yet?).

In the mean time, he helped me create a custom rule to check for the application and the definitions.

Since we did this it has been working fine. With both 4.1.3.1 and 4.1.3.2.

I'm swamped right now, but if I get some free time I'll try to post what we did (doubt it will be this week).

Chris

Thanks for updating me. I was gonna call tech tomorrow but I will try 4.1.6 first. I guess I will have to update/upgrade current cas from 4.3.1 to 4.6.x release on July 31st.

Interestingly enough, even though the Manager Installation and Configuration Guide for 4.1.6 lists AVG Technologies as one of the companies that is supported (both product and definitions), the Release Notes still do NOT have version information for the Definition files for AVG (free & pay).

So does that mean that we will still need a custom rule to fully support AVG?

I'll be interested to see. But it will be September before we can start testing 4.1.6 here.

Chris

I'm running 4.1.6 here and AVG 8.0 Free is still not working. Sees AVG and also sees the virus definition file number but no date. Got cisco to give me some steps on a custom rule check and looks as far as Cisco is concerned that will be the way it is.

I got Cisco to create custom rule for AVG and it is not working as expected. For e.g. If you got fresh copy of AVG with out-dated dat files than all files in program files\avg is up-to-date and NAC will think it's compliant as all files are from today's date or less than 5 days old in our case.

Can you guys share what parameters and checks you are using to make sure that AVG is really up-to-date before it's allowed on the network.

Thanks

Sorry for the super slow response. Here are the checks we are using:

Check Category: Application Check

Check Type: Application Status

Check Name: AVG8_Install

Application Name: avgrsx.exe

Operator: running

Check Description: AVG 8.x

Check Category: File Check

Check Type: File Date

Check Name: AVG_Definitions

File Path: SYSTEM_PROGRAMS \AVG\AVG8\updatecomps.cfg

Operator: later than

File Date: CAM date (midnight) - 7

File Date Type: Modification Date

Check Description: AVG 8 Definitions

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: