Views
Helpful
Replies

Comparision with (sorry!!) Nortel products

gfaif
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to know with which device could I compare the VPN Appliance Nortel Contivity 1010 and theVPN Appliance Server Nortel Contivity 1700. Because a provider gave us a proposal with those appliances for a VPN application and I want to turn it to Cisco products.

The 3002 haven't firewall features, that the Nortel Product have...

Please tell me some information asap.

Regards,

Gabriel

4 Replies 4

Nelson Rodrigues
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

One solution for a VPN/Firewall is to use the PIX firewalls.

1) Small office/branch office comparison

a) Contivity 1010-, 5 VPN tunnels

b) PIX-501, 5 tunnels, supports site-to-site, & 2 hardware client modes

2) Medium enterprise

a)Contivity 1700 - 500 tunnels

b) PIX-515E - 2000 tunnels

Check ou this link on all datasheets for PIX firewalls.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_data_sheets_list.html

Nelson

Thank by your advice. Do you know a cost comparison?

At the other hand.... May a VPN concentrator need a FIREWALL to protect its networks? because actually only IPSEC traffic could entry to him. In that way a hacker may need to crack the USERNAME and PASSWORD to became IPSEC traffic...(that's right?)

Thanks again,

Gabriel

Gabriel, most VPN deployments utilize a stateful firewall to hide the

VPN box from outside hackers. a commmon config is:

-----Corporate nets------VPN gateway----Firewall-------Router---Internet---FW/NAT box-----Remote/Home office

One possible config with Cisco equipment:

--Corp.----VPN 3030------PIX-515E----Router--Inernet----PIX-501/VPN3002--PCs

Hi

at this configuration with VPN/Firewall/Router, the VPN is connected across (2) DMZ interfaces? like inside and outside? or is another configuration to hide the box?

If I don't have enough budget to invest in that, is better only the pix using the vpn features?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: