Views
Helpful
Replies

Comparison of the NRS-2FE-DM vs. IDS-4230-FE

afniwan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have the opportunity to purchase an old NRS-2FE-DM, but after some research, I noticed that this product has an EOL date of March of 2000. My question is, will the NRS-2FE-DM be able to handle the software upgrade to 3.x thus making it able to be used in our current environment of the IDS-4230-FE SENSOR and DIRECTOR platforms and being managed by our DIRECTOR that is in place? Thanks.

Jeff

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rwassom
Level 1
Level 1

Jeff,

The NRS-2FE-DM appliance will run 3.x software, but you may need to upgrade the memory according to Product Bulletin No. 1143 (http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/sqsw/sqidsz/prodlit/1143_pb.htm) in order to do so (depending on whether or not this upgrade has been done already).

You will need to use a 2.5 or 3.x Upgrade/Recovery CD in order to install the 3.x software. NRS and IDS appliances used the same CD for 2.5, 3.0(1) and 3.0(5) software releases, but separate CDs were used for the 3.1(3) release. Make sure you use the correct CD for the NRS appliance. You will need to purchase a SmartNet contract for this appliance in order to install the 3.x software legally. Once you purchase a support contract, you can order the latest Upgrade/Recovery CDs from CCO free of charge.

You will not be able to upgrade beyond 3.x, as the NRS appliances are no longer supported beginning with the 4.0 release.

-Rusty

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

rwassom
Level 1
Level 1

Jeff,

The NRS-2FE-DM appliance will run 3.x software, but you may need to upgrade the memory according to Product Bulletin No. 1143 (http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/sqsw/sqidsz/prodlit/1143_pb.htm) in order to do so (depending on whether or not this upgrade has been done already).

You will need to use a 2.5 or 3.x Upgrade/Recovery CD in order to install the 3.x software. NRS and IDS appliances used the same CD for 2.5, 3.0(1) and 3.0(5) software releases, but separate CDs were used for the 3.1(3) release. Make sure you use the correct CD for the NRS appliance. You will need to purchase a SmartNet contract for this appliance in order to install the 3.x software legally. Once you purchase a support contract, you can order the latest Upgrade/Recovery CDs from CCO free of charge.

You will not be able to upgrade beyond 3.x, as the NRS appliances are no longer supported beginning with the 4.0 release.

-Rusty

Thank you! That is just what I thought but wanted to confirm.

-Jeff