Views
Helpful
Replies

Compatibility between Cisco VPN Client and Nortel VPN Client

rajesh444
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a laptop with Cisco VPN Client [version 3.6.2] installed and would like to install the Nortel Contivity Client as I need access to 2 different networks. Earlier, when I tried installing the Nortel Client [version 4.15] I got the following error:

GetLastError - Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.

Severe - Installation of the Contivity VPN driver failed

Please let me know if the 2 Clients are compatible, if not are there any settings I can modify on the laptop that will allow me to have both?

Thanks,

RAJ

10 Replies 10

jfrahim
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Raj,

The VPN clients are not compatible to each other. Even if you have a laptop with the Nortel client installed, and then you try to install the Cisco client, then cisco client would give you an option to uninstall it first

Jazib

Jazib,

Thanks. Does this incompatibility extend to any 2 IPSec Clients or only between Cisco and Nortel ?

Could I write a batch file that would stop the IPSec services on the laptop, set it to run manually and then install the Cisco Client. The batch file will then help me go back and forth between the 2 clients.

Is Cisco planning to come out with a Client version that will be compatible with other VPN Clients?

RAJ

sipulator
Level 1
Level 1

I have been able to make the two work together. Here is what you need to do:

You need to have the Cisco client installed first.

before installing the Nortel client stop the Cisco Systems VPN Service in control panel/admin/services.

Next you should be able to install the Nortel client without the overlapping i/o message.

You have to remember that each time you use the Nortel client you need to stop the Cisco Service.

I hope this works for you.

Thanks. I will try it out. What versions of Cisco and Notrel Clients did you use?

RAJ

Just an FYI...

Release 4.0 (April 2003) of the Cisco client will allow it to coexist (installed) with the Nortel, Checkpoint, MS clients. Soon it will go to Beta so you might want to check it out.

Nelson

Hi Nelson,

Will the beta be available for public (cco-login) download?

Cheers,

Jens

Rel 4.0 client/VPN 3000 is in Beta right now , so it is not available on CCO.

You must enroll as a Beta 4.0 Test site at the following URL:

http://cisco40beta.ether.net/signup.html

You'll get instructions on how to download the code, once your Beta

request has been approved. If you have any problems enrolling you

can reference me (Nelson Rodrigues) as the person that suggested you enrolling.

Nelson

The Nortel client is 410d and the Cisco client is 3.5.1

I've got a similar situation where I need to have the Cisco client and the Nortel client co-habitating on the same machine. I've first installed the Cisco client, stopped their services and then installed the Nortel client without problems.

Nortel runs fine if the Cisco services are not running upon workstation login. If, however, I login to the NT machine with the Cisco services running and manually stop the Cisco services and then launch the Nortel client, it would authenticate but then it would give me a message about not being able to find the DNS and WINS Server. Any one have success with this method?

bump

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: