Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Confused about IPSec and VPN

I need to connect to a remote network over the internet but am having a rough time figuring out how to get the P2P VPN setup on my PIX because of my current configuration. In trying to find an alternative I have found articles about using IPSec on a router to connect to a remote network across the internet. Is this IPSec with a router the same as P2P VPN with a PIX?

4 REPLIES

Re: Confused about IPSec and VPN

IPSec is a security protocol and a standard and therefore is the same on a Cisco router as it is on a PIX. This allows you connect an IPSec vpn between a PIX and a router, or a PIX and a firewall from another vendor.

VPN - a network which uses the public network to transfer information using secure methods.

IPSEC - the protocol that provides the security for VPN's.

Hope this helps!

So then by this wording I could use my 2811 router and IPSec to connect to a remote location even if the other location was using something other than a PIX?

Yes, provided that the device you are using at the remote site supports IPSec VPN...

I almost had it there but your wording confused me again. When you say:

"supports IPSec VPN..."

Can a device support IPSec but not allow VPN? I thought that if could use IPSec you could make a connection.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content