Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Confusing problems with 827 & IPSec

I'm having a problem that really confuses me.

Trying to configure a 827 to act as a remote endpoint for a VPN to a PIX 515. The IPSec & ISAKMP sa's will come up just fine, however, the problem is to pass traffic to and from clients on the 827 ethernet-network. What is really interesting is that there is no problem to communicate when sending a ping from the router to the network behind the PIX.

When trying to send a ping from a client behind the 827, the packet wont even show up in the counters for the crypto engine. When trying to ping the same client from the PIX lan, the packet will increase the crypto engine counter but there will be no response. From my point of view it seems that there is a *huge* data-loss between the crypto engine and the interface. I've tried to decrease the MTU but that didn't help. The access-list is configured for the entire network, and not a single host.

I'm on my way to open a TAC-case for this, however, it would be interesting to see if anyone of you have seen this problem before.

Kind regards,

Marcus Lundbom

OBOL Network.

Community Member

Re: Confusing problems with 827 & IPSec

Are you building up a Lan to Lan IPSEC tunnel between 827 to PIX 515?

According to your saying, that the IPSEC tunnel is fine. I am thinking the problem will be the "bypassing the nat"

In router end, you need No NAT route-map. In the PIX end, you need nat (inside) 0 access-list .

Please check more details in following sample config:

Best Regards,

Community Member

Thank you for your response. Yes, this is from Lan to Lan, however, (just for the record) communication will always be initiated from the 827-side of the network.

I've been thinking about that as well, however, nat route-map seems correctly configured tough.

From 827 config:

access-list 130 remark NAT hitlist

access-list 130 deny ip

access-list 130 permit ip any

route-map nonat permit 10

match ip address 130

ip nat inside source route-map nonat interface BVI1 overload

From PIX config:

access-list hq-vpn permit ip

nat (inside) 0 access-list hq-vpn

nat (inside) 1 0 0

I have a couple of 806's connected in the same scenario, and I'm absolutly not new to this kind of configuration, but this really beats me.

Any further ideas?

Would be greatly appreciated ...

Cisco Employee

If you don't even see the packet from the local host make it to the crypto engine of the 827 router, it may not even be getting to that router in the first place. It looks like your local network is, and you're trying to route packets to the PIX which has a network.

Are you sure the default gateway on the local host is set correctly (should be the 827 router's inside interface)? Are you sure its subnet mask is set correctly, make sure it doesn't have a 16-bit mask on it cause then it's going to think the remote network is local and will just be ARP'ing for that remote address?

Does it work from any other local PC behind the 827? It really just sounds like a routing issue on the network behind the 827.

Community Member

The local network is and the remote network is, however, for scalability reasons in this kind of solutions I have a policy of excluding any packets from the local network to any private network that might need to be reached from the remote site ... Access-list 130 was only for the NAT process.

On interface BVI1, I've applied the crypto map and in the crypto map it says 'match address 120', access-list 120 permits ip with source of and destination of

I'm very sure that the default gateway and subnetmask etc is correct since the packets will show up on debug when the router just booted, before it has got the chance to initialize the tunnel, but when the tunnel has been established the packets just disappears from 'debug ip packet', that's what -really- confuses me.

Since the BVI1 has a dynamically assigned address, when the router just booted if you enter 'debug ip packet' it will discard the packets as unroutable (of course, it has not got either the public ip address nor the default gateway yet) and when the packet is routable, i receive a debug message for the ip packet stating something like crypto engine not ready, unfortunally, I'm not on site at the moment, so I don't remember the exact message. When the tunnel has been established, I don''t receive any other debugs for that session ... :(

Tried with another PC as well, same problem. That was one of my first toughts, since the machine that was doing the continusly pings has been out of production for a while, it could have been that one that was causing the problems, however, the problems persisted with other clients.

Perhaps I should mention that extremly few packets (like 10 out 1000) gets trough. I've tried with higher timeouts, smaller packet size, and so on, without any difference.

Pings TO the remote network does not work either, however, when trying to send a ping from the HQ LAN to the remote network, the counter in the crypto engine increases, but there is no action from debug ip packet in that direction either... :(

Both the 827 and the PIX has been rebooted, of course.

Strange? hrm..

Kind regards,

Community Member

The problem is solved.

The crypto map was applied to just BVI1, when also applying the map to ATM0, everything worked just fine. :-)

CreatePlease to create content