cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting Pix To DSL

year96
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 501 and am trying to connect it to the net via a DSL Line.

IP address information is entered staticly, and the route command for the outside interface is "route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Outside 1"

As far as I can tell everythingis entered in correctly, but I cannot ping the outside gateway from the Pix command prompt.

The pix works fine when it is setup to be a DHCP client. However, the current provider I'm connecting to doesn't support DHCP and has given me the information to enter in statically.

Is there a config Line I might be missing??

Also I've checked to make sure the proper cables are between the pix and DSL modem

Thanks

Paul Robinson

3 Replies 3

gradosavljevic
Level 1
Level 1

I trust you would have to make the static route point to the inside IP address of the DSL router e.g.

route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 100.100.100.100

Furthermore in order to allow ping packet to travers the PIX501 you must add an access-list permiting this type of traffic:

access-list pingout permit icmp any any

access-group pingout in interface outside

finally use the follwoing command to check your config

ping outside 100.100.100.100

brian.carter
Level 1
Level 1

If you are connecting this directly to a DSL modem, you need to setup the PPPoE client on the PIX501.

You will need PIX 6.2(1)

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_62/config/pixclnt.htm

I just set this up over the weekend and it works fine -

eenest
Level 1
Level 1

Get the "default gareway" ip address from your provider.Dont' use the interface name. It's not the IOS - PIX software works somewhat differently.Use that default gateway address/mask in your route statement.If for some reason you can't get the meaningful info from your ISP - you can guess. Take a look at your address/mask assignment. If you have /30 mask - the gateway address is obvious.-- Eugene

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card