Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Console connection freezes up

Hey guys,

when I access a router or a switch (I dont' remember if it does it in firewalls as well) via the light-blue console cable, I have to restart the device.

I use Hyper Terminal from windows and I get this problem a lot because if I want to access the router via the console few days later, I can no longer get in. Access thru telnet/ssh is always good.

Is there any settings on the console line that prevents or perhaps freezes the console line after a certain amount of time?

Once again, I have to restart the router or the switch in order to see and access the prompt.

2 REPLIES

Re: Console connection freezes up

Most likely is your terminal emulator,

does your terminal have these settings

Bits per sec : 9600

Data bits : 8

Parity : none

Stop bits : 1

Flow control : none

If term setting are correct have you tried console using a different system other than the one you normaly use, have you tried a different concole cable.

It would be odd that this is a problem in multiple cisco devices, router, firewall, switch..

Rgds

Jorge

Re: Console connection freezes up

yes, all my terminal emulator settings are correct.

I do agree these problems are strange. I connect fine, do my things, then I lock the PC (I do leave the hyper termninal session open mpst of the time though)

and then 2 or 3 days later, I try to go back to the hyper terminal window but it does not let me type anything. So I close the HT session, open up a new one, but same thing... I can't type anything nor see anything from the router (not even a prompt)

Again, the only fix is rebooting the device and once I do, I then see activity via the HT window and I can also type stuff

Views
Helpful
Replies