cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Console port cannot log into router.

huytuan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a Cisco 1605R router. It was working fine. Then I ask my ISP to set up traffic monitoring for my connection. They put MRTG onto the router by using telnet from their office somewhere else but not on my company site. And now everytime I log onto the router it say " %% low on memory; try again later" . This is even though I try to log on using the router console port. I cannot gain access to the router anymore, when the router is right next to me. How do I log into the router again using the console port. Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

cclark
Level 1
Level 1

MRTG is a program that lives on a server and queries the router via SNMP. What happens if you power off the router and back on again? Can you then access the router w/o the error messages? You might have a memory leak which can be fixed with an IOS upgrade. Since you can't access through the CON port, can you telnet to it?

tmiller
Level 1
Level 1

The best fix for this is to add a stick of RAM and then issue the following command:

NO LOGGING CONSOLE

Depending on what you are trying to monitor with MRTG and your network design, you can put the following to reduce routing update traffic on interfaces that do not need updates:

router

passive interface e0

I, also, have a 1605R and have been getting the "no memory" errors. The router is not under any heavy load and the CPU is averaging about 22%. Just started happening with no obvious changes to the configuration. A reboot clears. Sometimes, the problem comes back in 30 minutes (or less) - sometimes it takes week. I've shrugged it off as faulty memory...

I could very well be. do a sh techsupport and run it through cisco support.

Again, putting a stick of memory and putting "no logging console" works.

Most of the time just "no logging console" works

redloh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I've had several memory issues with 1600 series routers. These routers have a very small amount of NVRAM and little DRAM by default. I think it's like 8k / 8MB respectively. If your router has a large routing table and a large config then the two could be working together to give you memory issues. Check to see that your config isn't truncated when you type "show run". If it is, then config compression might help. Bumping up the DRAM never hurts either. Hope this helps.