cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CS-MARS device discovery

jim.brock
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to discover equipment, primarily routers, for the CS-MARS 100e. I'm trying to use telnet to connect to the routers, but It receives an error. The error shows it connects and sees the login banner, but it will not discover it. Any ideas? Or, is there a better way?

I may just have to turn on SNMP to all of the routers, but I'm told that will not give me the same information.

4 Replies 4

pmccubbin
Level 5
Level 5

Did you configure a username and password on the MARS box for the routers you are trying to discover?

This is how I was taught and how it has worked for me

in the field:

You must configure SNMP community strings in order for the MARS box to discover the routers you want to manage. Additionally, point the routers syslog output at the MARS box. Lastly, you must modify your network to allow SNMP through any firewalls or ACLs you have in place.

Hope this helps.

I have tried using the username and password and still received the error.

SNMP has worked on the other routers, etc., so I'll just set that up on these routers as well.

pplsi
Level 1
Level 1

Two things you might look at/try. First your router has to be set up for telnet. Make sure you don't have an access-list blocking what address can use telent...which is a good idea to use btw. If you are using one add the address of CS-MARS.

Secondly get into the command line of CS-MARS and try to telnet to the router. It is a lot easier to troubleshoot the issue that way. Good luck.

Remove the banner, then discover the device via telnet. Then re-add the banner.

DC

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: