cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSA Upgrade

james-mccarthy
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to upgrade CSA 5.0.0.186 to 5.2. The problem is that we have a couple hundred users with laptops that aren't going to be here until January. We have a rule in place that prevents users from modifying agent files and security level. It also prevents Altiris from pushing out the new version of CSA. I have since removed that rule but the users that aren't here haven't received the update. So when we upgrade the server to 5.2, they won't be able to get the update and therefore no upgrade. I've tried numerous things including setting up a mirror of the current server but the SSL CA's don't match and the new agents will not register to the new MC. So I tried to push out the new certs to the hosts (along with updated DNS to point to the new server). The rule that blocks the upgrade also blocks the new Certificate file from being copied. Is there anything I can do to get this working? I'm at a loss as to what to do now. Thanks for any help you can give.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I'm sorry to hear that 5.2 isn't on the production server and it may be too late to do a migration for all hosts because you can only migrate from previous versions of CSA.

I hope Cisco is listening: It would be nice to migrate same versions of CSA or at least install an agent kit to migrate to another MC from an existing MC!

You can replace the certificate on hosts but they also have to report to an MC with the same name and you must suspend security to do it.

Another option is for you to build your new MC on a production server. You could then at least migrate the hosts still reporting to the 5.0 MC.

On the 5.2 hosts you could uninstall the current agents and use your deployment software to install the new agent.

You'll need to keep the 5.0 MC running until you migrate all hosts off of it.

HTH

Tom

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

tsteger1
Level 8
Level 8

Hi James,

Have you already installed 5.2 on the same or different server? Can the laptops talk to the MC?

If so, why not use CSA to migrate/upgrade the hosts?

The agent allows itself to be updated or migrated if you use the MC to do it.

You can schedule the software update to some or all of your hosts and either force it or make it silent.

If the agent can talk to the MC, it can do the upgrade.

One of the features I like most about CSA 5.X is the ability to upgrade silently.

Tom

But from what I have been told, CSA 5.2 will not work on server 2000 and 5.0 will not work on server 2003. How can I push an upgrade from the current CSA server 5.0 running windows 2000?

When you install CSA 5.2, it creates several executables in C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\CSAMC\CSAMC52\migration, one of which is called prepare_50_migration.exe.

This is what you run on your 5.0 MC and it creates export files and a software upgrade to 5.2. Run it from a command window or it might not run properly.

The software upgrade will show up in your 5.0 MC and you can schedule this just like a software update.

Once the hosts install it, they will report to the new server with the updated agent.

This process is also covered in "Installing V5.2 and Migrating Configurations and Hosts from Previous Versions" in the CSA 5.2 install guide.

Tom

Ok, I see what you are saying. I read that document but I guess it didn't jump out at me like it should have. Not to be difficult but we only have one server for production. The other server we have is a development server that isn't powerful enough to handle all the agents. Is there a way to do this on one server or will it require two?

Since we have a hundred or so laptops that aren't coming back till January, I'll need to leave the 5.0 server running until they get back correct?

BTW, thanks for all your help so far.

I'm sorry to hear that 5.2 isn't on the production server and it may be too late to do a migration for all hosts because you can only migrate from previous versions of CSA.

I hope Cisco is listening: It would be nice to migrate same versions of CSA or at least install an agent kit to migrate to another MC from an existing MC!

You can replace the certificate on hosts but they also have to report to an MC with the same name and you must suspend security to do it.

Another option is for you to build your new MC on a production server. You could then at least migrate the hosts still reporting to the 5.0 MC.

On the 5.2 hosts you could uninstall the current agents and use your deployment software to install the new agent.

You'll need to keep the 5.0 MC running until you migrate all hosts off of it.

HTH

Tom

Ha! I hope they are listening too. This would've been a weekend job if I could just migrate MC's. But oh well. I think I have enough info to get together a plan. Thanks again for all your help.

James

You're welcome and good luck with it..

Tom

tsteger1
Level 8
Level 8

duplicate post...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: