Views
Helpful
Replies

CSA v5.0 - Locking down USB devices

dodsonrs
Level 1
Level 1

Could someone advise on the following two questions:

1) Can CSA control who is allowed to use/install USB devices and once a device has been installed once only allow specified users to access these devices.

2) Can CSA control the ability of a user to only access jpeg's from a USB Key or a USB attached camera for example as read these files but cannot write.

I would guess I would have to create a File Set of acceptable files and a User Set of users who are allowed to use and install USB devices.

5 Replies 5

followurself
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Did you put the solution in place, even i m trying the do the same. can you let me knw how u went abt it?

Thanks

tsteger1
Level 8
Level 8

It sounds entirely possible based on User State sets, removable media and file sets.

Tom S

Can you explain a bit more, system state and user state can only be configured on a rule module but no a rule. As i understand we would a seperate rule module and copy the existing rules and apply the user state.

r-eastwood
Level 1
Level 1

I dont know if this would be helpful or not but we had a similar challenge. First we are still using CSA 4.5 so I dont know if 5.0 treats this problem differently. Anyway, I created a new Policy specifically for "Removable Devices". In that policy I created an "Any State" rule module that contained a file access control rule denying "All applications "Write" to $Removable Media. This is a variable that comes with CSA. Now after testing it appeared that my test system could read from a USB drive but not write to it as intended. From there you can add specific user state rule modules attached to that policy. Inside those modules you can create specific rules (I.e. Allow Read or Write <@removable:*.jpg> Make sure your rule module state is set up for the correct user that you want to grant access too. Hope this helps.

Robert, that sounds exactly like what is needed. I'll test it too when I get back from vacation!

Thanks!

Tom S