Views
Helpful
Replies

CSPM 2.3.3i crashs !!

jjpeyrache
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

is 2.3.3i latest version for managing IDS sensor ?

i checked on the web and didnt find more recent version of this product ...

customer encoured several crashs of CSPM (Doctor Watson,blue screen,etc)

that always need to resinstall totally the product.

frequency is between 3 weeks to 1 month before problem reoccur.

any comments or pointers will be welcomed

thanks

JYP

6 Replies 6

marcabal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes 2.3.3i is the latest version of CSPM that supports IDS.

You also need the latest signature update, but the update only contains configuration file updates and will not affect the issues you are describing.

Cisco has recently (just last week) come out with a new IDS Management product.

Management Center for IDS, and Montioring Center for Security are part of VMS 2.1 (VPN and Security Management Solution). They are web based configuration and event viewing tools that are loaded on Windows 2000.

Users who purchased CSPM as part of the VMS 2.0 Bundle and purchased support can upgrade to VMS 2.1 with the new IDS management tools at no extra charge.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/wr2k/vpmnso/prodlit/index.shtml

In the FAQ you will see that CSPM 2.3.3i is being discontinued, and users should upgrade to VMS 2.1.

So I would recommend upgrading to the new IDS Management tools using a second system, and run CSPM alongside the new tools. Once your comfortable with the stability and features of the new tools, you can uninstall CSPM.

thanks for this infos, but if customer wants a fix for problems reported

againts 2.3.3I ?

is this product still supported and fix if problem escalated or anyway

an upgrade to Management Center For IDS is mandatory ?

thanks for your help

JYP

I had similiar problems. The way I resolved them is to archive the CSPM alarms database every month or more frequent if the database gets two large. One day the my network had a failure and there were a lot of false alarms and CSPM crashed. The problem with CSPM I see is that if the database gets to large, the software cannot handle it. I have a script that I manual run the 1st of every month to archive the database. Contact me if you want a copy, mhicks@cnmc.org.

I don't know the details of how escalated CSPM problems will be addressed. You would need to contact the TAC or your Cisco Representative to get that information.

I would, however, recommend upgrading to Management Center as no NEW features will be added to CSPM even if they do correct current problems.

What is Management Center? Please be more specific. Is there now an alternative to CSPM 2.3.3i on NT? For Windows 2000?

A couple of weeks ago Cisco annouced the new VMS 2.1.

NOTE: CSPM 2.3.3i could be purchased separately or as part of VMS 2.0.

VMS 2.1 contains two new products specifically for IDS.

Management Center of IDS (used for configuration of sensor) and

Monitoring Center for Security (used for viewing alarms and reporting).

Both of the new products run on Windows 2000 rather than Windows NT.

If you purchased CSPM 2.3.3i as part of VMS 2.0, and you kept up your maintenance contract then you can upgrade to VMS 2.1 with the new Management and Monitoring Centers at no additonal cost.

If you purchased CSPM 2.3.3i by itself, or let your maintenance contract expire then you will need to contact your Cisco Sales Rep or refer to the VMS 2.1 documentation to see what your pricing options are.

For more information on VMS 2.1 refer to:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/wr2k/vpmnso/prodlit/index.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: