Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blue

Database Maintenance in CSA v5

I am running a CSA 5 test server with 20 hosts and using local MSDE. The database size had grown to 2.1GB so it was prompting me to shrink the database, delete events and free up disk space.

The more events I deleted (there were 36,000 total), the larger the database grew. It is now 2.5GB with no events.

There was another way to compact the database in CSA 4.0.X but I don't remember what it was or if it would work in this case.

What am I missing here?

Thanks

Tom S

8 REPLIES

Re: Database Maintenance in CSA v5

Hi Tom,

IIRC I noticed that by creating a csamc backup via csamc to local disc the database will be compacted.

Try and let me know...

But if you are around 2,1GB db size and growing maybe consider migrating to full MS SQL (although your speaking about a test server)?

Arne

Blue

Hi Arne, I did that but the db size did not change after the restore. I will try a migration to SQL even though it is a test server.

This still troubles me because of the size increases for no apparent reason. It is now up to 3.1Gb and growing daily. There are only 19 hosts and 667 events. We are planning to migrate over 3300 hosts to CSA 5 and this does not bode well.

Hopefully migrating to full SQL server will resolve this issue.

Thanks for your post.

Tom S

Hi Tom, IIRC that you do not have to do a full csa db restore. It ought to be sufficient enough to do a backup only. By the time it`s done, the db should be just compacted. Did you check db size before restoring?

Have you tried around with creating an event set for purging all events up to now? Maybe some kind of not purged old events correctly?

How about input from analysis jobs or reports. Do you cleaned up a bit?

Customers I have do not have this steady growing on <5.x CSA versions up to now.

Regards,

Arne

Blue

I had already purged all events. There are only 1200 events right now. I did not see an option other than restoring or backing up the db and I did both. I also ran the compact\shrink utility from the MC.

Your customers are using v5 in production right now (bold to say the least)...

Are your customers using full SQL?

Do they have application investigation enabled?

Tom S

Hi Tom,

I´m sorry, made myself not clear enough. My customers are still on 4.x not intending to upgrade to 5.x up to now. Nevertheless they use MSDE without application investigation.

I guess that`s the main difference beside the 4.x version.

Maybe there`s no way around a tac request. Got no clue at the moment what to try to purge db correctly.

Regards,

Arne

Blue

Ahh, yes Arne, that makes more sense. It may require a TAC case because MSDE should be fine. We have 3500 hosts on 4.0.3-737 with MSDE and the db is 422MB.

Thanks for your posts.

Tom S

Hi Tom,

did one backup on our 4.5 csamc. CSA db gets automatically compacted, no more unallocated space left.

What db are we talking about: csamc oder csaanalysis ?

Regards,

Arne

Blue

csamc50_log.LDF. It's just above 3GB. csamc50.mdf is about 130MB.

Tom

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content