cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dead peer detection not working !!! Help please...

kirkster
Level 3
Level 3

Guys,

I have two 2811 VPN routers connected via several switches. Static crypto maps and isakmp keepalives at 10seconds.

Tunnel is up and working, encrypting traffc between loopbacks on the 2811s when I do extended pings.

Everything works fine. I do a show crypto isakmp sa detail and can see the security association and remaining lifetime.

I now kill a link betwen the switches, isolating the 2811's. I can no longer do my extended ping between the loopbacks between the 2811's, as would be expected. However, why isn't the DPD taking the SA down? When I do a show cryto isakmp sa detail again, there is no difference to the output when the VPN was up and running. I AM generating traffic so why isn't the SA being deleted? I have NTP running with teh source address as the loopbacks so there is always interesting traffic.

If I use periodic keepalives it works properly and the SA drops out. However, I am labbing this problem because with my customer a 6500 VPN SPA is the tunnel endpoint and this does not support periodic keepalives !!!

Thanks for your help.

Steve

1 Reply 1

umedryk
Level 5
Level 5

Using periodic DPD potentially allows the router to detect an unresponsive IKE peer with better response time when compared to on-demand DPD. However, use of periodic DPD incurs extra overhead. When communicating to large numbers of IKE peers, you should consider using on-demand DPD instead.