cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dell 1450 wireless adapter + VPN client 4.8 = No communication

normalit
Level 1
Level 1

I have a bit of a specific problem with a single user. I am having troubles figuring out where the problem actually exists. Here is a bit of background:

- 3005 VPN Concentrator running version 4.7.2.B

- Dell Latitude D505 laptop, using 1450 Broadcome wireless adapter running Cisco VPN client 4.8 (latest release that is non-beta).

- When the user plugs in his wired connection at home, he makes a VPN connection and is able to communicate with the corporate network.

- When the user associates wirelessly he is able to make the VPN connection and log on just fine, however after this authentication stage (and the building of the IPSEC tunnel) he is unable to access any resources. Attempting to do a ping to a hostname fails, as if he cannot resolve DNS queries.

- A look on the firewall shows no strange drops, and shows allowances for DNS, etc, to be opened up (using Windows Firewall on XP SP2, GPO settings).

Does anyone have an idea of where the problem lies? He said that he used to be able to connect just fine. However, after I upgraded the wireless drivers and WLAN utility to allow for WPA-2 (and reinstalled video drivers and hotsync, but that should have nothing to do with it) it seemed to stop.

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

normalit
Level 1
Level 1

I discovered the answer to my own question. Sometimes it helps to write out your problems, as it becomes more clear. :)

For those of you who have the same problem, check out this link:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=RC956904&docid=152D7D67033477DFE0401E0A5517188F&journalid=C89936971A8811DBB1DBEF34D4340518&l=en&s=hied

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: