cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Design Help with MPLS/BGP and Point to Point VPNs using OSPF as backup

kcordero_uvi
Level 1
Level 1

I need some advice on the configuration I want to implement. Basically we have a MPLS cloud using BGP. We are using OSPF for internal routing. Everything is working fine. Now we want to add a Point to Point VPN using new Cisco ASA's for a backup path at all of our remote locations. We want it to be on standby. I want to use OSPF for this. Miami and LA are datacenters. I want the VPN's to go into both datacenters if possible running OSPF for backups. I have a feeling this will be very tricky. I also wanted to use floating routes. Now I know I get the VPN's up and running using OSPF with no problem. Here are my questions:

But being that I am using different areas, will OSPF through the VPN work correctly? I have the Cisco PDF on setting this up but it looks like they are using the same, AREA0, in the example.

Can I get both VPN's to work with no problems? Or will it be too much of a pain?

What would you guys suggest?

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

hadbou
Level 5
Level 5

Refer to the following url for more info on configuring Point to Point VPNs on ASA:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/configuration/guide/ike.html

bchoisser
Level 1
Level 1

We are implementing the same solution, and was only able to make this work using HSRP one router for the MPLS connection and one for the VPN tunnel. I opened a TAC case and the tech couldn't get it to work either. I was able to establish the Lan-2-lan tunnel but triggering the route update was the problem. We ended up pulling our ASA5505's out and putting in 1841 routers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: