Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between Cisco 3000 concentrator and Easy Vpn server

marketgraph
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm running a network where we use a Cisco 2801 router as EasyVPN server and several cisco PIX 501 firewalls as EasyVPN clients. Now I just read about the Cisco 3000 series concentrators and every example I see uses this product as a server.

Could anybody explain to me why you should use a concentrator instead of a 'normal' router? I'm wondering if we should change our setup and get a concentrator.

2 Replies 2

ggilbert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello

Cisco VPN concentrators were the first ones to implement the concept of EzVPN. Only 3002 HW clients were able to connect to these concentrators before.

Later on, IOS was implemented with the scenario of EzVPN along with PIX firewalls.

Running a Cisco 2801 router as an EzVPN server is not a bad idea at all. Concentrators are only VPN termination devices. Routers have the capability of terminating VPN, routing, Firewall, etc..

Rate this topic, if it helped you.

Gilbert

Thanks for the reply. Now I know what those concentrators do. And for assuring me I'm doing the right thing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: