Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN and IOS versions

johansens
Level 4
Level 4

Hi there all,

I am about to roll out some new 7206 DMVPN headend routers and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with stable IOS versions for this.

We have used 12.3(6a) until now, but I would like to move to the 12.4-train if possible. Haseeb Niazi in Cisco gave these recommendations last summer in a "ask the expert" session:

link: http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Expert%20Archive&topic=Virtual%20Private%20Networks&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1dd8eec9/5#selected_message

----

Looking at our internal deployments as well as feedback from customers, currently the recommended releases are any of the following:

12.3(8)T8

12.3(14)T2

12.3(15)

We are trying to quality 12.4(3) as well. Personally I have good success with 12.3(11)T6 but there have been reports of memory leak at some customer sites.

----

Does anyone have experience with this?

/Stig

1 Reply 1

johansens
Level 4
Level 4

I asked Mr. Niazi in Cisco this question again and received the following answer:

---

Here are the recommended versions now:

OS 12.4 Mainline: 12.4(3c), 12.4(5a), 12.4(7)*

IOS 12.4 T-train: 12.4(2)T4, 12.4(4)T

In general we run 12.3 or 12.4 Mainline on DMVPN hubs and 12.3T or 12.4T on DMVPN spokes, but this is not a strict rule at all.

* 12.4(7) is particularly good on the DMVPN hub routers when using EIGRP as the routing protocol, a number of EIGRP fixes/features were added that makes EIGRP more stable on DMVPN networks.

The usual disclaimer goes with the recommendation: the images have proven to be stable in our internal test and beta networks as well as most of the customer networks. Since every customer environemnt is unique, you might (a remote possibility) find some corner-case type issues in your network.

---