Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS Parent Suffix missing on Win2K with 3.6.1 client

zabbas
Level 1
Level 1

Scenario:

Current dns suffix is: test.abc.com. Under TCP/IP properties I allow my DNS domain suffix to default to the current and the parent, i.e. it picks up test.abc.com from my host definition and then also appends abc.com to the search order.

Problem:

When I launch my VPN Client for Win2k (3.6.1), dns suffix search order only lists : test.abc.com, not the parent. Which I have instructed it to do in my TCP/IP properties. The way to get around this is to manually add the domain suffix search order in the TCP/IP properties (under DNS), which duplicates the primary domain name twice (when you do a ipconfig /all).

Anyone else having this problem ? This is important to us for DNS resolution. Because of this problem, people have to use the fully qualified name when trying to get to machine on the abc.com domain not the test.abc.com domain.

Please help!!

2 Replies 2

s-doyle
Level 3
Level 3

This looks like an issue between the VPN Client software and WIndows 2000. You may want to check the bug toolkit and search on DNS suffix or open a case with Cisco on this.

Bug Toolkit:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/launch_bugtool.pl

Thanks for your advise. I did find a bug id that matched my problem: CSCdt66124 - which is in resolved state. However this problem is still present in 3.6.1 code under Win2K. We don't actually manually define our DNS suffix search list, we choose the setting: "append primary and connection specific dns suffixes".

We see abc.123.com in the search list along with 123.com (since it is the parent suffix). Once the tunnel is established, the 123.com suffix dissapears and reappears after the tunnel is closed.