Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Do I need a support contract to get vulnerability fixes?

Hi, I own a 881 ISR*. It does appear that some of the recent vulnerabilities announced on 9/22 affect my router. I want to get the fixes for this, but when I go to download an updated release, I get the message:

To download this software you must have a valid Technical Support Services Agreement associated to your Cisco.com user ID.

Can this really be true? I need to purchase a technical support contract simply to fix known vulnerabilities with my router? Or is there any other way?

Thanks

* Cisco IOS Software, C880 Software (C880DATA-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 12.4(20)T5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Do I need a support contract to get vulnerability fixes?

Gabriel, in order to be able receive RMAs, support and software IOS images you need to have a support contract. For low-end routers these are pretty inexpensive if the router was bought from a Cisco reseller or partner.

I hope it helps.

PK

Thanks for your reply.

I have to say that this is astonishing and disappointing. I have never heard of a company charging for software bugfixes, especially security issues. Can you imagine if Microsoft said they were going to charge their customers additional fees for security bugfixes? They would be crucified.

Cisco Employee

I understand.

You pay to buy Microsoft's software to run it on any computer/hardware. And then you are getting free updates for it.

But I don't think you paid to buy your IOS, you just paid for the hardware.

Also note that the contract is for general support, RMA, software and TAC assistance. The premium is not just for software downloads.

Rgs,

PK

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content