cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does a PIX route packets from a LAN to the same LAN?

pcavicch
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

my PIX is the Default Gateway for my LAN.

Can I configure a static route in my PIX 5151E to route packets from my LAN to another gateway in the same LAN?

Thank you in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

IMHO it would be better to say:

The PIX does route, but is is not a router. It can forfill some routing functionality, but one thing is that the PIX never will allow traffic leaving the same interface that it did enter. This is due to the Adaptive Security Algorithm within the PIX.

How about the other way around? Making the router default gateway and setting a static route to any (gateway of last resort) from that router to the PIX. Could be a solution.

Kind regards,

Leo

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

jmia
Level 7
Level 7

Hi -

No the PIX cannot route as it's NOT a router!

Thanks -

IMHO it would be better to say:

The PIX does route, but is is not a router. It can forfill some routing functionality, but one thing is that the PIX never will allow traffic leaving the same interface that it did enter. This is due to the Adaptive Security Algorithm within the PIX.

How about the other way around? Making the router default gateway and setting a static route to any (gateway of last resort) from that router to the PIX. Could be a solution.

Kind regards,

Leo

Stated much better. I was just getting ready to correct the previous post as well ;)

Thanks,

Scott

teshreve
Level 1
Level 1

Would it be more clear to say, then, that the PIX will not send ICMP redirect messages?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card