cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does VPN works with public range IP address?

lyesinn.ang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If I use public range IP address (eg 100.100.x.x) for my office network and I intended to use VPN to connect to my remote office. Will that post an issue? Will the be any impact?

My concern is that I might be sending out legel IP addresses to the internet which might cause a conflict. Can anyone clear my doubt about this.

Thank you!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

afakhan
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

If you are going to make a VPN Lan to Lan (site-to-site) tunnel b/w your remote office and your office, it wont cause any problem if you have public (routable) IP addresses configured on your inside LAN at your office location, because by default IPSec Tunnel mode is used when you configure LAN to LAN tunnels, tunnel mode adds an extra routeable header, this header has source and destination IP addresses based on your local and remote IKE peer IP addresses, instead of your inside IPs, your inside IPs remain hidden inside the tunnel header, no matter what IP addresses they contain.

So its possible without any impact.

Thanks,

Afaq

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

afakhan
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

If you are going to make a VPN Lan to Lan (site-to-site) tunnel b/w your remote office and your office, it wont cause any problem if you have public (routable) IP addresses configured on your inside LAN at your office location, because by default IPSec Tunnel mode is used when you configure LAN to LAN tunnels, tunnel mode adds an extra routeable header, this header has source and destination IP addresses based on your local and remote IKE peer IP addresses, instead of your inside IPs, your inside IPs remain hidden inside the tunnel header, no matter what IP addresses they contain.

So its possible without any impact.

Thanks,

Afaq

Hi Afaq,

Thank for clearing my doubt. Really aprreciate that.

Regards

LS Ang

Hi Afaq,

Just one more question. Does VPN works well with NAT? Let's say my remote site needs to do NAT whenever it needs to access to my network.

Thanks..

Regards

LS ang

Hi,

Yeah, NATing is fine, if you have an overlapped network across the tunnel.

Make sure that your crypto ACLs have NATed (after NAT IPs) in them, so that you can encrypt traffic after NATing.

Thanks,

Afaq

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: