Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dot1x auth-fail vlanX not working

Hi,

I have configured 802.1x on a fas0/3 and works fine.

I'm testing to configure a restricted VLAN on that port and it does not work.

This is the configuration:

interface FastEthernet0/3
switchport access vlan 11
switchport mode access
dot1x pae authenticator
dot1x port-control auto
dot1x auth-fail vlan 30
dot1x auth-fail max-attempts 2

When PC connected to Fas0/3 failed the authentication two times it should switch to VLAN 30 but it's not happening (port fas0/3 remains in VLAN 11 in up/down state)

SHOW VLAN:

11   VLAN0011                         active    Fa0/2, Fa0/3, Fa0/4  
30   RESTRICTED                       active

sw1#sh dot1x interface fas 0/3
Dot1x Info for FastEthernet0/3
-----------------------------------
PAE                       = AUTHENTICATOR
PortControl               = AUTO
ControlDirection          = Both
HostMode                  = SINGLE_HOST
ReAuthentication          = Disabled
QuietPeriod               = 60
ServerTimeout             = 30
SuppTimeout               = 30
ReAuthPeriod              = 3600 (Locally configured)
ReAuthMax                 = 2
MaxReq                    = 2
TxPeriod                  = 30
RateLimitPeriod           = 0
Auth-Fail-Vlan            = 30
Auth-Fail-Max-attempts    = 2

This is a 2960 running c2960-lanbase-mz.122-35.SE5, what I'm missing?

Federico.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jedubois
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ferderico,

How are you testing the Auth-Fail VLAN?  If you are testing with a bad password and using PEAP this is considerred a retriable error which may not cause an Access-Reject from the RADIUS server, instead the password can be retried without first tearing down the TLS tunnel via an Access-Reject.  As configured it would take 3 Access-Rejects from the RADIUS server to be placed into the auth-fail VLAN.  If I remember correctly a bad username is also retriable.

If you are using ACS 5 you can turn down the number of PEAP retries to 1 in which case you would need to fail login 6 times with a bad password to hit the auth-fail VLAN.

--Jesse

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

jedubois
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ferderico,

How are you testing the Auth-Fail VLAN?  If you are testing with a bad password and using PEAP this is considerred a retriable error which may not cause an Access-Reject from the RADIUS server, instead the password can be retried without first tearing down the TLS tunnel via an Access-Reject.  As configured it would take 3 Access-Rejects from the RADIUS server to be placed into the auth-fail VLAN.  If I remember correctly a bad username is also retriable.

If you are using ACS 5 you can turn down the number of PEAP retries to 1 in which case you would need to fail login 6 times with a bad password to hit the auth-fail VLAN.

--Jesse

Jesse,

Thank you very much.

I changed the

dot1x auth-fail max-attempts 2

to

dot1x auth-fail max-attempts 1

and now it works!

The weird thing is that it still prompts me twice for authentication, gives me auth fail error, but I check the switch and port F0/3 is now on VLAN 30 (as expected).

If I change it back to dot1x auth-fail max-attempts 2, it prompts me twice for authentication, auth fails, but the switch will keep F0/3 on VLAN 11.

It is working, however it's strange isn't it?

Yes.. I am making the test using bad user/pass.

Federico.

Great,

This is the retriable error I was mentioning.  The password can be retried inside the TLS tunnel without an Access-Reject being sent fromt the RADIUS server.  So while you are failing on the supplicant side twice the switch only sees this as a single failure.

--Jesse

Great stuff!

Thank you Jesse.

Federico.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: