Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Dual ISP and PIX

We have Internet feeds from two isp's. Routers running BGP and two Pix 525s configured with statefull failover. I would like to use both the links for load balancing and not use hsrp. All the notes I have read point to placing a router in front of the firewall and behind the two Innternet routers. This obviously creates a single point of failure which we would like to avoid. To summarise, how do I get the firewall to use both links?

Thanks

4 REPLIES

Re: Dual ISP and PIX

Configure HSRP on the two Internet routers. Connect a crossover between the 2 routers and Run IBGP between them. This has worked great for several of my customers.

thanks for your reply. Could you please elaborate a bit more. Eack of my routers have single ethernet ports that connect to the lan segment with the firewall. Do I need another ethernet port? If I run HSRP will it not use the primary router for all outbound traffic? How does your soluation load balance?

I worked on this exact issue about 6 months ago. My memory is quickly fading, but I do know that you will not be able to get the PIXs to load balance unless you use a device like the CSS11000 in front of and behind the PIXs. Essentially, you have will be able to design redundancy, but not load-balancing.

We put one router with multiple ethernet interfaces between the PIXs and our 2 ISP routers. We performed policy routing based on the source address of our lan segment hosts. We had a class C, so we policy routed even IP address out of ISP router A and odd IP addresses out of ISP router B.

I was just as unimpressed that there were no specific examples of this type of configuration anywhere on CCO.

You can use a load balancing switch/router to load balance the PIX firewalls and your border routers. I am running an identical environment using BIG IP 5000's from F5. You may not need application load balancing of that nature or price ($$$) Cisco Arrowpoint switches, Foundry, and Alteon all make these switches/routers.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content