cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Easy VPN Server and Cisco VPN client

panikos73
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured a CISCO 836 router as an Easy VPN server. I'm using CIsco VPN client to establish VPN connections from two remote sites having ADSL modem with static IP. A static IP is configured on the router's external interface too. The internal interface of the router is connected to a LAN having the IP address 10.0.0.1

The problem is that although I manage to establish a connection and the router assigns an "internal" ip address (e.g. 10.0.0.201)to the client's interface it is impossible to connect to any other computer on the network except the router's internal interface.

I'm a begginer concerning VPNs and networking in general so I'm not familiar with CISCO IOS commands etc.

I would really appreciate any help on this.

Mamy thanks in advance

5 Replies 5

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

can u check out the ACL part which has to permit both the lan blocks to have the communication established or else do post out the router side configurations here.

regds

Hi spremkumar,

It's impossible to upload routers configuration and I can't send it as a message because it exceeds the maximum character number.

Is there any other way (e-mail maybe)?

Many thanks for yoyr time and your response.

Regards

Nikos Panagopoulos

hi

Then do post it out to jefrancis@gmail.com i asked the same over here in netpro coz it will be seen by other netpros also which will be very much helpful to have their inputs too..

regds

Hi spremkumar,

I've already sent you the running config of the router via e-mail.

I fortunately found myself a solution. And here is what I did:

I was asking the router to assign an IP address to the VPN clients from a pool that it was a part of the network beyond the router (LAN: 10.0.0.0/24 and pool: 10.0.0.201 - .250). I assume that since there is no physical MAC address for the VPN client any request from it to the machines in the network beyond the router was coming from within their network but they could not found the machine to reply. Additionally since the request was from someone inside the same network they won’t ask their default gateway (the router) for translation.

So I tried to tell the router to assign the clients an IP address from a different pool and thing worked grate.

Many thanks to everyone who saw my post and especially to spremkumar.

Regards

Nikos Panagopoulos

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: