Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Authentication - Cat3560 12.2 and other Routers

d-garnett
Level 3
Level 3

Hello all,

I am setting up a 3560 switch to talk on our network.

It has a routed port (gig0/2) and will talk to 2 other routers on our network. Anyhow I am currently purplexed as the 3560 just will not talk to the others. This is at our main site and I have several other sites going through this site, therefore I can not just take the other routers down. We have at least 20 routers talking in our network total with EIGRP (md5) without issues

I have tried my luck configuring OSPF with md5 on these 2 routers and this switch and it works fine, however I don't want to run 2 IGPs on a 20 router network.

I am doing this via copy and paste and putty. I am aware with carriage return characters and copy and paste, but I have even tried putting the password in manually (on the 3560) and still no good.

02:20:20: EIGRP: pkt key id = 1, authentication mismatch

02:20:20: EIGRP: GigabitEthernet0/2: ignored packet from _._._._ , opcode = 5 (invalid authentication)

Switch#

Switch is 12.2(25r)SEB

Routers are version 12.2 and 12.1

1 Reply 1

d-garnett
Level 3
Level 3

Just as a follow up, I have noticed that if the key-strings are less than a certain amount of characters, it works. If it is greater than that amount, it does not work.

If I use a 16 letter password for instance, it doesn't work, but if I use a 8 letter password it does.