cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Emails through PIX VPN

g.leonard
Level 1
Level 1

I want to set up a VPN between two sites using a PIX to PIX vpn tunnel. An Exchange 5.5 server with some Outlook clients sits in site 1 and Outlook clients only sit in site 2. What would be the best way of setting this up so that the clients in site 2 can access mails sent to them by clients in site 1?

TIA

6 Replies 6

jmia
Level 7
Level 7

Gary,

Here is a very good document on PIX site-to-site configuration using IPSec.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a0080094761.shtml

Hope this helps,

Jay

Cheers Jay, looks like the deal. Presumably I would just permit SMTP traffic between the real server IP and the real client(s) IP in the interesting traffic ACLs on each PIX?

mostiguy
Level 6
Level 6

a point to point ipsec tunnel will effectively act like a direct physical link between the two sites. You just need to treat the remote office like any other new subnet. WIll you have any servers at the remote site? If you do, make one a wins and dns server, and configure replication between it and the wins and dns server at the main office with the exchange server. That should take care of all name resolution issues.

Having a domain controller at the remote office is also a best practice

The 2 sites will use different IP network classes. Will this cause a problem with routing between them?

Unfortunately the remote site just has a couple of PC's, no servers. I suppose the remote client will have to authenticate on the main domain to access exchange? What would you suggest?

Gary,

No you'll not have any problems with having 2 different IP address/network. The remote site can authenticate to the primary domain via the VPN tunnel.

Hope this helps,

Jay

Cheers Jay, thought that probably would be the case - set up somehing similar a while ago. I suppose the PIXs act as a simple router as they are connected to different subnets? Would you know what nasty ports I would have to add to the interesting ACL to get the clients logged onto the domain.