Views
Helpful
Replies

Embryonic Sessions Limit

matthew.mcbride
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I am trying to get an idea of a recommended value for the embryonic sessions limit (tcp intercept) number for the nat and static statements on the FWSM. Any number between 0-65535 can be set, with the limit defaulting to 0 (unlimited embryonic sessions). In my mind, any number over 100 is excessive. Two hosts should be able to establish the three-way-handshake in a stable environment with well under 100 different attempts to send a packet with the SYN flag set in the TCP header. Has anyone else had experience with a 'good, safe' number to set the embryonic sessions limit? What impact is there, if any, to the FWSM memory consumption while acting as a connection proxy between two hosts?

Thanks for your time.

-m2

2 Replies 2

grant.maynard
Level 4
Level 4

It really depends on the server, but usually I find 100 is enough. The only exceptions I've found are proxy servers etc where the firewall separates them from clients, where, 500 does the job.

I suggest setting it high (500), using "show local" to gauge a normal number of connections, and then set it to, say 10percent of that. If you get it wrong the log will tell you.

Grant,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

-m2

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: