Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Enabling SSH on Routers IOS

I have some 1751 routers and would like to remotely access them via SSH instead of the usual Telenet.

Can somebody advices me on the IOS I would need for this

Thanks

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Enabling SSH on Routers IOS

With the newer IOS images, I believe all you have to do is add the ssh transport method like:

line vty 0 4

password 7 xxxxxxxxxxx

login

transport input telnet ssh

^^^

There are also some 'ip ssh' commands as well. To use ssh, I think you also need to have a local account set up or use TACACS / Radius as ssh seems to require a username.

Silver

Re: Enabling SSH on Routers IOS

You will need to have an IOS that supports crypto. These are seen as images 3DES or Security as the Software feature set.

For example: IP/ADSL/FW/IDS PLUS IPSEC 3DES

Note that if you don't already have an image that supports crypto, you will need to purchase an upgrade. Changing feature sets is not part of maintenance and definitely not free.

You will need to have usernmae-based authentication as ssh doesn't not support password-only auth.

You will need to generate an RSA key before you can enable and use ssh:

[crypto key generate rsa general-keys modulus]

The default for vtys is "transport input all" which will support telnet along with ssh. If you want ssh only, use [transport input ssh].

Views
Helpful
Replies