Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Establishing a Tunnel with Client 5.3.1 and XP Pro

I am a relative newbie to the world of wireless networks and VPN and need help. I have set up a wireless network using a Linksys router and Roadrunner through a cable modem. I am trying to establish a connection for my wife's computer to be able to access her workplace from home. My computer is running Windows 98 and is direct wired to the router. Her computer has XP Pro and is linked via a wireless connection. I have installed Client 3.5.1 on both machines. No problem in establishing a tunnel and connecting with my machine. On her machine, however, I cannot get to a login screen. The screen says that it is trying to establish a connection but is not able to do so. I have uninstalled and re-installled Client several times and have checked to insure that the firewall was disabled but still no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated since my wife is getting disenchanted with my abilities! Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Establishing a Tunnel with Client 5.3.1 and XP Pro

Ensure that Transparent tunneling is enabled on the VPN client and also make sure that you allow IPSec over TCP using port 10000. Uncheck these boxes in the VPN client running on your wife's machine and the connection should get through. Guess this should work. Let me know if you are still having issues.

I appreciate the input. Unchecking the boxes did enable a logon with username and password. I am still not able to complete the connection. I get a "remote peer terminated connection" message but at least I am further along than before. Thanks again!

Bronze

Now that you are able to log on, the issue that would require troubleshooting is the "remote peer terminated connection" message. From what I know, this is a bug with linksys wireless router. The workaround is to disable IPSec on the linksys, and upgrade it to the latest firmware Linksys Beta 1.37.9a-BEFW11S4. This should resolve the issue and you should be able to complete the connection. Hope this helps.

My linksys router is the new WRT54G. Does the same upgrade hold true for this router?

I might not have the answer to your problem but I am experiencing a similar issue and would like to know if your wifes computer is connecting via a USB cable?

Thanks!

Her computer connects to the router via a wireless hub. The hub is connected to her machine by a USB cable.

Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content