Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Evaluating the Need for a ASA 5505 Security Service Module

I  have been hearing about how DDoS attacks are on the rise.

My ASA only has the firewall, which, from what I read, makes it no more than a PIX firewall.

Is there a way to determine if my ASA is being probed and/or being subjected to a DDoS attacks?

I work at another company, also, that had a simple firewall. A DDoS attack kept them from normal operations for 2 weeks.

I want to avoid that!

Or is there other criteria I can use to demonstrate a need for it?

Thanks,

2 REPLIES
VIP Purple

The Security Module (SSC) in

The Security Module (SSC) in the ASA 5505 (which is already announced EOL) wouldn't help you against DDOS attacks. The module ist just an IPS which works signature-based. The typical company hast to ask the ISP for support against DDOS, but the ISPs take good money for that.

--
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor: http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni
Bronze

Hello, Mike. The security

Hello, Mike. 

The security module on the ASA 5505 are indeed End of Life. Is this a new ASA 5505 that you recently purchased? If you are already considering upgrading, you can check the ASA 5500-X models with the new FirePOWER services which is a next generation IPS and anti malware. 

Let me know if you have other concerns or e-mail (adawa@cisco.com) me directly. Kind regards. 

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content