Views
Helpful
Replies

Exempt Devices in NAC 4.1

estelamathew
Level 2
Level 2

Hello friends,

I m setting up layer2 virtual gateway mode,i m little bit confuse regarding which would be the Exempt devices in the layer2 virtual gateway mode.

whenever any device in the authentication vlan it will pass through NAC Server but if i moved the port to normal access vlan in the switch by "switchport mode accces vlan" than the device is out of flow from NAC.

From my knowledge whatever the vlan mapping is done in NAC between authentication and access vlan only those vlan will be affected rest are all out of flow from NAC,they will flow as normal traffic.

Also all my switches in Management vlan so if i dont create mapping for management vlan than they will not flow through NAC.Am i correct ???????

please suggest me what other devices shld be exempted from the networks, for example: printers,  and what else ???

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Faisal Sehbai
Level 7
Level 7

Estela,

You're correct in most of your assumptions. The key thing with NAC is to follow the flow of the traffic and make sure that in unauthenticated state the flow of the traffic always goes through the CAS. This follows that if a port is not in a VLAN on your untrusted side, it would never be impacted by NAC. For your unauthenticated VLANs, you have to make sure that the traffic path they're allowed is only through the CAS. Keeping this simple design rule in mind, look at your VLANs again and you'll get most of the answers you're looking for.

HTH,

Faisal

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

estelamathew
Level 2
Level 2

Hello Friends,

Can anybody reply to the below query.

Thanks

Faisal Sehbai
Level 7
Level 7

Estela,

You're correct in most of your assumptions. The key thing with NAC is to follow the flow of the traffic and make sure that in unauthenticated state the flow of the traffic always goes through the CAS. This follows that if a port is not in a VLAN on your untrusted side, it would never be impacted by NAC. For your unauthenticated VLANs, you have to make sure that the traffic path they're allowed is only through the CAS. Keeping this simple design rule in mind, look at your VLANs again and you'll get most of the answers you're looking for.

HTH,

Faisal

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card