Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

failover/non-failvoer PIX

What is the difference in software and hardware between buying two independent PIX or two PIX with failover?

Regards.

5 Replies 5

dro
Level 1
Level 1

I believe the only differences are how the software interacts with the devices. The only "real" difference between them is different licensing thats applied to each unit.

Normally it's cheaper to buy two with failover, as the second PIX can only be used in a failover scenario, otherwise it will reboot itself every 24 hours.

Hope that helps..

-Joshua

Joshua,

I have 2 PIXs they have exactly the same hardware Model and the same software version. One unit has unrestricted license and another has Restrict License. They worked separately in different location. Now I want them working together to do failover. Can this 2 license do this?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Where can you see both unrestricted and restricted license? I have two pix working in failvoer and I cannot see any difference.

TIA

Hi Jennifer,

the restricted license does not suppport failover. If you want to use this pix, you need a new activation key to enable failover. You also need the same hardware in both chassis.

Norbert

Yes... That makes sense. Restricted license does not support failover. Cisco has a license from failover license to restrict or to unrestrict license. If I try to get a new key for failover license, It looks like a license degrades. If you apply a new key, it doesn’t have a failover license choice. Can some cisco guy tell me how can I get a failover key?

thanks and thank you Norbet and TIA.

Jennifer

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card