Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

filter for vpn group based on nic ip address

Using a vpn3000 and client (no client firewall), is there a way to filter on the source address (nic address - not assigned address). This would allow a client to connect from a "campus" address but not from an ISP address; other vpn groups would be allowed to connect from the same ISP address space however...?

Can this be done with a client firewall filter ?

3 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: filter for vpn group based on nic ip address

If you know the actual IP addresses or range of IP addresses that you want to allow you could just set up access-lists that would permit only those addresses into the network. The access-list would deny everything else. Here is a URL that will help you with the access-list. The only way that you could filter based upon the Nic address (MAC address) would be to use a MAC address access-list but I believe you have to be bridging for that to work. http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/ACLsamples.html

I don't think acl's will solve the problem:(by nic I meant ethernet card and its ip address not the mac address)

So, is it possible to allow a vpn group to set up a tunnel from an ISP address range, but filter another vpn group (so they can not set up a tunnel) from the same ISP.

In other words can the src ip address of the ethernet (not the assigned "dialup") be used to allow a vpn group access when coming in from a "campus" ip address but filter that same vpngroup if they are trying to come in from home (their ISP).

ie:

allow vpngroup1 if coming in from xxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxx

allow vpngroup2 if coming in from zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz

filter vpngroup 1 if coming in from yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

allow vpngroup2 if coming in from yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

Is there filtering that looks at the source ip address available in a client firewall, either to not allow them to set up the tunnel or if a tunnel is set up to filter out the traffic (connect but not be able to go anywhere).

This is a "feature" a customer wants to be able to implement...

Thanks,

Allen

Just a clairification:

when I say src ip address I mean the ethernet ip address or the assigned or nat address through the isp.

by assigned dialup I mean the address assigned from the pool at the vpn concentrator.

Thanks again,

Views
Helpful
Replies