cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firewall Hardware/Software for VPN

thegreenwood
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to find out what people are using for Firewalls(Software/Hardware) with their VPN(remote users)?

What good/bad experiences have you seen? What would you not recommend?

5 Replies 5

fmeetz
Level 4
Level 4

If you are planning on doing remote access, I’d suggest going with a VPN concentrator separately from the firewall. The VPN 3000 and 5000 series are very fast and they work well. I like the PIX for a firewall solution too and keep my router configs basic and simple. Combining all these functions on a router is very taxing and administratively burdensome. Just my thoughts.

ajaen
Level 1
Level 1

for thats you need, to know whats application in the remote site consultation in the center site, to cross the vpn and what ports use this application, and enable thats port in the firewall

kcgeorge
Level 1
Level 1

I would suggest a Hardware based Firewall with VPN ready routers. Could also consider Nokia's integrated Firewall/VPN IP 530 platform..Just my thoughts.

dscordato
Level 1
Level 1

We are using a PIX 520 at our central site with multiple remote sites using PIX 506's connected via full T1's with very good success. The 506's take care of a full T1 with ease. Triple des encryption was a bit rough on the 520 when all the remotes were going steady at over 512k each so we are using single des and it is steady as a rock.

A bit more info for those that want details: isakmp is pre-shared keys with des encryption md5 hash, transform set is esp-des esp-md5-hmac, 4 remote sites with everyone in the 10.122.x.0/24 subnets, our 60 plus other sites are semi-meshed on frame-relay between 64k-1544k links in the 10.x.0.0/16 networks and we mesh some VPN sites with each other through multiple tunnels.

jjfreefly
Level 1
Level 1

For home users check out http://www.Linksys.com.