cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firewall IOS monitoring

brent
Level 1
Level 1

I have a client that has a 2621 running the ios firewall. We have configured the access-list to log violations to a syslog server when they occur. Does Cisco make or is there 3rd party software that will monitor the syslog entries for a repeated violation from the same source ip (or any protocol violations)? They want to setup 24/7 in house firewall monitoring that will page a tech if such a violation should occur.

Or is there a better way to accomplish this?

Thanks

10 Replies 10

r-simpson
Level 3
Level 3

I’d suggest using Cisco snmp mibs and Intrusion detection devices (http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/120newft/120t/120t5/iosfw2/ios_ids.htm#xtocid205650) for added security to your network. Open Systems makes a software product named Private I that should work for you too. Check out their evaluation version at www.opensystems.com

jtiso
Level 1
Level 1

take a look at netforensics

cstokes
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

CS Intrusion Detection has a feature that may help. The sensor can be the recipient of router ACL violation syslog messages. When it receives one, it then processes the message and builds an IDS alarm from the information contained and sends that on to the management station.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/csids/csids1/csidsug/configur.htm#xtocid1463814

Charlie Stokes

brent
Level 1
Level 1

update, looks like PrivateI by opensystems will work. (opensystems.com) It has the reporting and notification features I am looking for. However; in order for the paging feature to work you must have email paging, in other works it just sends an email to you (or your pager).

johncharris
Level 1
Level 1

You can manage, monitor, maintain and perform event correlation of all IDS, PIX, IOS firewall, VPN Concentrator, NT, UNIX and Checkpoint alerts through the use of Netforensics. Netforensics will solve the cumbersome task of managing security data. If you want further clarification and product capabilities contact me directly at jharris@netcom-sys.com.

Hi,

Can you tell me where I can Find Netforensics?

Thanks.

Thanks,

but I mean a site to download it.

j-patterson
Level 1
Level 1

I've been using NetForensics V2.2 for a couple months and its a great product. It will monitor the PIX, IDS and the ios fw.

k.jay
Level 1
Level 1

I use CiscoWorks to grep my syslog and Telalert to page on configured events (things like inbound PIX denys, interface up/downs, stuff I want to know about). I also have the NetRanger Director paging me (also using Telalert) on IDS hits (I have both IOS IDS in my edge routers and NR sensors behind same). If there is a problem with this, it's that I don't have any smart filtering to, for example, only page me after N violations from the same IP (but anybody sophisticated enough to throw a DOS attack my way is going to spoof addresses, so maybe I want to see 'em all anyway). Suffice to say I get paged alot :) .... but it's all good.