Views
Helpful
Replies

Firewall Ports Required for NAC manager to manage/add Cisco switch

CSCO10675262_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to add cisco switches to the NAM, however i am not able to add the switch as I am getting the error "unable to control switch" I have tried to open ports 161-162 on the firwall; if i was to allow any traffic between the NAM and switch, the cisco NAM is able to add/manage the switch.

Not sure what other ports may be required for cisco NAM to manage the switch?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tiago Antunes
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

AFAIK, only the UDP ports 161-162 for the SNMP communication need to be open.

Please make sure you have configured the correct port on the switch:

(config)# snmp-server host 172.16.1.61 traps version 2c cam_v2 udp-port 162 mac-notification snmp

If still not working i would check the logs on the firewall for any blocked traffic between the CAM and the switch.

HTH,

Tiago

--

If  this helps you and/or  answers your question please mark the question  as "answered" and/or rate  it, so other users can easily find it.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

jan.nielsen
Level 7
Level 7

ssh needs to be open i think, and remember that snmp is udp based.

Hi jan,

Thanks for the update; yes the ports opened for snmp were udp 161-162. Is ssh port required for nam to manage the switch? I thought it was meant for cli access to the appliance?

Thanks.

Tiago Antunes
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

AFAIK, only the UDP ports 161-162 for the SNMP communication need to be open.

Please make sure you have configured the correct port on the switch:

(config)# snmp-server host 172.16.1.61 traps version 2c cam_v2 udp-port 162 mac-notification snmp

If still not working i would check the logs on the firewall for any blocked traffic between the CAM and the switch.

HTH,

Tiago

--

If  this helps you and/or  answers your question please mark the question  as "answered" and/or rate  it, so other users can easily find it.

Hi Taigo,

Thanks for the update. I will give it a try to specify the port to be used in the snmp-server host(I thought the default port is 162). My current config used would be as follows:

snmp-server enable traps mac-notification change moved threshold

snmp-server enable traps snmp linkup linkdown

snmp-server host 172.16.1.61 version 2c cam_v2

I will provide an update on the updated configuration changes as suggested.

Thanks.

Hi Tiago,

Thanks for the information. Turns out it was due to the rules.

Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card