Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Firewall Recommendation

Hello all: I am interested in purchasing a firewall to learn network security. This would be a lab firewall. Being that I am currently unemployed, it would need to be an inexpensive solution.

Would someone please let me know which model(s) and features they would recommend.

I am looking at the: 1605, 501 & 506. It looks like I would need: IPSec, IDS and 3DES to start with.

Thank you,

Robert

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Firewall Recommendation

the 501 and 506 are highly similar, for home use a 501 10 user license is fine (if you have more than 10 machines at home, you need help). A 506 is not worth it - if you are really looking to understand pixen, a used 520 with > 2 interfaces might be a good idea, but since a 506 only has 2, just like a 501, it is of no extra benefit over a 501. the 3des feature key is now free.

neither IOS or PIX OS has much real IDS features. Look at snort - an open source IDS that runs on damn near every OS these days.

linux and the bsds have firewall software included with them, as do some windows versions.

Re: Firewall Recommendation

Most:

I just remembered that I have a bunch of 2500 IOSes. One of them should have the FW feature set.

Would this be an adequate substitute for the PIX? (except for the IDS as you mentioned)

(Oh, I only have about 3 computers!)

~Robert

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content