cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fixed Address assignment possible when using VPN on PIX ?

p.devalck
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to assign IP addresses on VPN activation by a Cisco VPN client software on Windows.

The customer wants to start applications from the main site towards the VPN clients. He is looking for a way to identify the individual equipment in his applications. Currently modem dial-up is used, so telephone numbers are used now.

VPN connections are not made over the internet, but over a private network. For security reasons the customer is not satisfied with interconnecting the networks using a firewall. Therefore the remote equipment will contain the Cisco VPN client software and connect to the PIX (model 515).

So far I could only find examples where addresses are fetched from a pool, meaning that association between IP address and remote equipment is dynamic rather than static.

Any sugggestion is welcome.

Thank you

Paul De Valck

2 Replies 2

sirpa_k
Level 1
Level 1

Any update on this?

So far, I have not seen any suggestions whatsoever.

Therefore we are now checking possibilities for automatic registration to a (D)DNS or WINS server when setting up the VPN tunnel.

As we are not responsible for the DNS/WINS part of the network, this does not seem very appealing, but failing an alternative, we will have to find a spare server to install a DNS, and do the tests.

Could somebody point to examples of configurations on the VPN client and PIX as VPN terminator, to force registration with a DNS/WINS when setting up the VPN tunnel ?

An additional question is about the end of the lease of the IP address : is registration with the (possibly) different address automatic ?

Thanks for any suggestions

Paul De Valck

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: