Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM 2.1

emily
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I would like to know FWSM 2.1 whether is release , I had look up CCO , that release on Q4 2003 , but i had search http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cat6000-fwsm ,but i can't see 2.1 software version

by the way , i want to know FWSM is possible support Firewall on " Transparent Mode ", i want to know is when FWSM crash , my cat6509 can working promptly routing to outside

9 Replies 9

nkhawaja
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

FWSM 2.1 is not yet released. Dont know the exacts.

Transparent Mode support is in 2.1.

In case your FWSM crash, your routing to outside will be stopped. YOu should consider having failover FWSM.

Hello,

I also have a question on FWSM releases: currently, have version 1.1.2 .. should I upgrade to 1.1.3 or wait for 2.1 ? where can I get information about the release date of FWSM 2.1 ??

Thanks in advance..

--osman

if u can wait for another week or so, 2.1 should be out. Date is tentative, not 100% confirmed.

Thanks

Nadeem

Osman,

I will give you a differing take on this question. First off, there is no such thing as FWSM 2.1 anymore. Due to the delay in releasing this version, we have re-numbered the next releases as 2.2. And, indeed, it should be available for download on CCO within the next 2-3 weeks. However, I would not upgrade to this release as soon as it is available unless you need some of the new features that are only in FWSM 2.2 code. This is going to be a *big* release. If you have no need for transparent firewalling or virtual firewalls or any of the other new features that are being added, I would suggest sticking with the 1.1 release train for now. I would also suggest upgrading to 1.1.3 as there have been *many* bug fixes integrated since the 1.1.2 release.

Hope this helps somewhat. Upgrading is always a balance between the risk vs the features you need. If you don't need the new features, wait a while to upgrade and stick with what you know already works for your environment.

Scott

A quick question which you may be able to help me with.. Do you know if release version 2.2 will support multicast?

Paul

Version 2.2 will support "multicast passthrough" which means that you will be able to natively pass multicast traffic through the PIX with normal ACL's and translations. A follow on release to FWSM 2.2 will support full PIM mode. Does this help?

Scott

Thanks for you response Scott. I don't suppose you have any timeline for these releases do you??

Paul

Paul,

It should be available on CCO next week. And as Nadeem correctly pointed out, multicast pass-through will only work in the 2.2 release *if* you have a transparent firewall configured. Sorry if I implied differently.

Scott

only if you switch the mode to transparent firewall, you will be able to pass multicast traffic.