Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM Replacement

anva12345
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I have 2 FWSM configured in active/active failover in multiple mode.The FWSM in the Primary switch is crashed.i need to replace this with new one .upgraded the IOS and license as that of secondary one.Please anybody tell me what r the required configuration to make this new FWSM again as active.

2 Replies 2

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

When the FWSM

is configured with failover lan unit primary

it becomes a primary FWSM

The preempt command in the failover

group configurations cause the failover groups to become active on their designated unit after the configurations have been synchronized and the preempt delay has passed

each firewall must have a different keyword (primary or secondary) in its configuration to differentiate its

firewall identity. Therefore, you must add this command to the primary and

secondary firewalls independently

(FWSM only) Allow the primary FWSM to preempt the secondary:

Firewall(config)# failover preempt [delay]

Normally, the firewall that has the active role keeps it until it fails or until you

manually intervene. Beginning with FWSM 3.2(1), you can configure the primary

FWSM to preempt its peer for control over the active role. With the failover preempt

command, as soon as the primary FWSM boots up, it can preempt the secondary unit

and take over the active role. By default, the primary unit preempts immediately.

You can set a delay (1 to 1200 seconds) to force the primary unit to wait before

assuming the active role

hope this helpful

Thanks Marwanshawi for quick response.My doubt is If i configure only the failover commands in the new fwsm (primary)whether it will synchronise the all configuration(config of all context and system)of secondary fwsm with new one? or we need to configure all the configuration on new fwsm?

Thanks in advance

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: