Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM Transparent mode question

lloyd_andrew
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

With a 6509, can the MSFC be behind two firewalls (security contexts on the FWSM) with the firewalls running in transparent mode?? I wanted to do it this way so that the 6509 and a specific WAN router can exchange EIGRP udpates.

Thanks,

-Lloyd

2 Replies 2

varakantam
Level 1
Level 1

Yes you can have an MSFC (SVI's) interfaces for inside interfaces as opposed to outside. Make sure you are truking the outside interface to the external router correctly. Also, use a protocol accesslist to permit routing packets

Varakantam,

Thanks for the response. Just to be clear, I will have the MSFC on the INSIDE interfaces of the firewall. I want to make sure because your response says to trunk the outside interface to the external router. That makes me think the outside interface of the firewall to the MSFC which is not my situation.

Again to be clear, the MSFC will be behind two firewalls (on the firewalls inside interfaces) in transparent mode. If this is doable, I'm assuming EIGRP will pass through with the appropriate ACLs??

-lloyd

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: