Helpful
Replies

Getting Novell IP Multicast packets over VPN

nhemeon
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

I have a PIX 515 setup with a VPN tunnel to a PIX 501 and I'm trying to get the

client pc's to see the Novell Tree. Now what I figure is that they can't see the multicast broadcasts through the tunnel. Should I upgrade to the new 6.2.1 image to get the new multicast command set? Currently I have the clients initiate the connection via the IP address of the Novell server. Anyone try this or have success with it? I'm more than happy to talk about this.

Nick

2 Replies 2

s-doyle
Level 3
Level 3

Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) with IPSec is a Cisco unique solution that enables routing updates to be sent over the VPN, thus delivering greater network resiliency than IPSec-only solutions. Aside from providing a failover mechanism, GRE tunnels provide the ability to encrypt multicast/broadcast packets and non-IP protocols. Thus by using GRE with IPSec Cisco can support Appletalk and Novell IPX with a site-to-site VPN solution.

john.gudmann
Level 1
Level 1

What version of Novell are we talking about? We are running version 5 and using something calling SLP agent to do the trig. It's configer under the client (service location agent) with a static ip to the server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: