Views
Helpful
Replies

Having trouble connecting to Pix 515 via Console

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Can anyone please help me with this?

I have a Cisco PIX 515 Firewall that I am trying to reset and utilize on a new network. I got the console cable (rollover cable with RJ-45 to DB-9 adapter made according to Cisco specs), however I am getting nothing on the screen of the Hyperterminal, which is configured to 9600bps, data bits: 8, parity: none, stop bits: 1, flow control: none. I also tested it with another console cable from our ISP with same results.

Is there a hardware reset switch?

Is there jumper to disable/enable console port?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Gene

1 Reply 1

r.crist
Level 1
Level 1

Gene:

Can you verify that your console cable is working by using it on another Cisco device, like a switch or router? That way you can eliminate the cable. If this 515 was used elsewhere it's possible that someone set the console speed to something other than 9600. I've done that in the past to speed up xmodem transfers to devices. Hit all the usual suspects - set your terminal emulator for 19.2, 56K, 115.2K..

Also, if the 515 was ever used in failover mode and was the standby firewall you could have some problems accessing it via the console port.

Rich

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card