cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Having trouble using the auto update feature.

scotthef
Level 1
Level 1

I have been updating our 12 sensors manually for a while now with no problems. We are currently on version 3.1(2)S28. I am trying to get the auto-update feature working but am not having much luck. I strated out by using a Sun box as an FTP server but then I moved to using one of the sensors when that was not working. I am using netrangr for my auto-update FTP login. And I have made a directory called Updates under /usr/nr where I put the update file for all of the sensors to update from. I went to all of my sensors, logged in as root and ran ./idsupdate with all the login and other info needed. Even when I do an immediate update it from multiple sensors it does not work.

The process starts but I do not see any kind of status. Then the sensor prompt comes back with "update status []" and that's it. I do an nrvers as netrangr and the sensor is still on the same signature update. Any ideas?

3 Replies 3

kleem
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try manually downloading the update from the FTP server you have setup to the Sensor, just to prove that everything is functioning correctly. If it does, verify that you are using the same user/password and URI in the idsupdate configuration.

Login to IDM and goto the Monitoring TAB and select Logs. Look at the idsupdate log to see if it is reporting an error.

stleary
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the webserver on the sensor is running when you invoke idsupdate,

then the update file will be downloaded but not executed. To complete

an update you should either use IDM to perform the update from the

Admin.update page, or shut down the webserver and use idsupdate.

IDM is recommended over idsupdate for performing updates

I got the auto updates to work. I did this by using a sensor as the FTP server. Thanks for the help.