Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Headquarters VPN equipment

I am looking at replacing our 3030 concentrator with something that will allow for QoS to our branch offices. Any recommendations? I've looked at the module for the 6500, but that seems quite expensive. Would a newer 2800 or 3800 series router be better than an ASA?

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Headquarters VPN equipment

Personally I would go with an ASA, you get a fully fledged firewall and a VPN3000 all in one box. The ISR routers are just as good though, and if you run the firewall feature set the firewalling is equal to the ASA.

Both will allow you to do QoS over the VPN's, the ISR's probably do QoS a bit better than the ASA simply because they run IOS and we've been doing QoS in IOS since the dawn of time. QoS on the ASA is a bit limited but does work fine.

Unless you're pumping millions of packets a second then I doubt you'd need a VPNSM in a Cat6K, although I'm sure our Sales folks would be more than happy to sell you one :-)

Re: Headquarters VPN equipment

We have 8 branch offices connected via site to site VPNs and I am thinking of using an ISR router to serve as the hub. Is there a tool to help decide what size router to get?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content