Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Help 1720 Router to Router VPN

I have 2 1720's with hardware vpn. I have the tunnel established and can ping from one private network to the other. The problem is that the branch 1720 is connected DSL via pppoe. All I can do is ping, nothing else will run. I am guessing it has something to do with mtu size, biggest packet I can send is 1454 bytes. Anything bigger and no go???

5 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Help 1720 Router to Router VPN

You can send a larger ping packet and see if it stops replying around 1454. If so, set your MTU somewhere around 1400 and see if that helps. You might need to work with Cisco to nail this down.

I have tried everything. Set mtu size's all around on workstations and servers. Just can't ping anything bigger. It's been 3 weeks and still no solution from cisco.

What DSL router or Cable box do you have in front of the unit? I have 20 1710's and 1750's terminating to one head end and MTU has never been an issue so far. We have had riuters or bridges cause a problem.

Problem is that one end is using pppoe with a dialer script to log onto the DSL. Mtu is set to 1492 and thats where the problem starts.

I had the same problem a while back. 7 ccie's couldn't figure it out. The first problem is that the 1720 doesn't have enough memory to run a lot of commands. I countered it by running all routers through my firewall on HSRP. Then I had redundancy and could make the connection from one network to another.

This guy might be able to help you out. His name is Jason Long and he works for this consulting company:

www.micromenders.com

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content